12 July 2019
Vacancy: Art Editor /
We are looking for an experienced Art Editor or Senior Designer, who is ready to take on the next stage of their design career, to join the Contagious Design Team
Contagious is a creative and strategic intelligence service that helps ad agencies and brands deliver more creative, innovative and effective marketing. We do this across our quarterly magazine, our online editorial platform (Contagious I/O), live events and our advisory services.
We are looking for an experienced Art Editor or Senior Designer, who is ready to take on the next stage of their design career, to join the Contagious Design Team.
The successful candidate will be someone full of great ideas, obsessed with all aspects of design, passionate about what they do and excited about the opportunity to join Contagious.
The Art Editor, under the leadership of the Creative Director, will play a pivotal role in shaping the team’s creative direction and output and will help lead, support and develop the design team in our London office. You will work closely with the Creative Director in maintaining a coherent design philosophy across all print, digital & social platforms.
Member of the Design team, reporting into the Creative Director.
Responsibilities and Key Performance Indicators /
- Art direct and design across the key Contagious content platforms including, but not limited to, Marketing, Sales, Advisory, Video, Events, Social Media and our quarterly magazine.
- Adhere to the Contagious brand guidelines and ensure design consistency across everything we do.
- Deputise for the Creative Director in their absence.
- Design and deliver each issue of the magazine, liaise with printers and prepare and send the pages to print.Commission and brief illustrators, photographers, videographers and freelance designers.
- Work with the Creative Director and events team to plan out the look and feel of all Contagious Events.
- Design or art direct event artwork including banners, booklets, stands, etc
- Offer oversight and input from a design perspective on all outbound sales and marketing material.
- Make appropriate efforts to follow the latest trends in design, advertising and marketing, in order to stay abreast of the sector.
About you /
- Demonstrate relevant experience working as an Art Editor or Senior Designer.
- Showcase excellent knowledge of magazine design, typography, photography and illustration and come armed with a contact book of illustrators and photographers.
- Be highly creative, able to think laterally and come up with brilliant design ideas in a demanding and ever-evolving environment.
- Ability to take initiative, implement key ideas and develop them.
- Be well organised with a high attention to detail.
- Have some experience of mentoring/management of a design/creative team.
- Be hands-on and lead by example, producing work across all platforms to the highest standard, demonstrating creativity and an understanding of the Contagious house style across all design output.
- Be prepared to design or enhance the occasional Powerpoint deck.
- Creativity: The Art Editor will need to understand design and smart copy and recognise fresh approaches to promotion and how best to present our proposition.
- Time Management Skills: Our design work often has pressing deadlines attached to it. When deputising for the Creative Director, the Art Editor will need to make timely decisions on final copy, final art, and overall look and feel of our output.
- Interpersonal Skills: The Art Editor will need to be able to lead a team of creative talent when required and establish effective working relationships with a wide range of internal managers plus, meet and work effectively with clients. Being an excellent communicator, team player and collaborator is crucial.
- Design Skills: An in-depth working knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud is necessary. A good working knowledge of Adobe Premiere Pro, Microsoft PowerPoint and HubSpot would be advantageous. Exceptional capability with typography and layout is a must.
- Creative Background: The Art Editor would be expected to hold a bachelor's degree in a relevant creative field (or equivalent) and have a strong track record of experience in a creative and relevant sector. We would expect them to have a CV showing progression through the various levels of a design-based career.
Business Design Centre, 52 Upper St, London N1 0QH
Please note that the business may require you to work additional hours when required and travel to various locations including overseas.
For a flavour of what it's like to work at Contagious check out the video below